Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Ankle Update

Well I've had a few folks ask for an update on my ankle so instead of whining and complaining about how much it hurts, I figured I'd give my update by saying things I'm grateful for because of this injury as well as things I've learned...we'll see how well this goes. :D Hopefully you find it somewhat entertaining. (That's what I'm shooting for here.)

1) I've learned that through mind boggling pain, one can and must learn endurance.
2) I've learned that having an ankle injury and having patience are very hard to achieve simultaneously...especially with a 5 and 3 year old running around.
3) I've learned that, despite the severity of the injury, a 5 & 3 year old have no sympathy and expect the same routine...thus requiring more patience on my part.
4) I'm grateful to live relatively close to my mom; she lent me her patience when mine was all dried up!
5) I'm grateful for take out and delivery...this is self-explanatory.
6) And, finally, I am grateful for pain meds. I don't know what I would be doing without my beloved hydrocodone to help me out! (Now before anyone gets all huffy and calls CPS, I've had the great privilege to be surrounded by family and friends so I am not taking the meds, passing out, and leaving my children to fend for themselves. I medicate responsibly. :D

Here are a couple of things that my children have learned throughout this ordeal...

1) Mom has a "too-far" button that is much easier to access when she is in pain.
2) Mom smiles a lot after she takes her pain meds.
3) Mom doesn't like it when I walk to close to her sore ankle and trip over it....this leads back to item #1.
4) Also leading back to item #1, mom doesn't like it when we take her crutches and pretend they are stick horses and forget to bring them back to her.

Ok those are a few of our 'have-learned' and 'grateful-for' experiences! Hope you enjoyed them!Onto some pictures!

~The nasty bruise on my hip from the shot the ER gave me a week ago! And, since many have asked, the shot actually didn't hurt that badly. It felt like a normal shot. I'm not sure what the nurse did to have these types of bruising repercussions.


~The inside of the ankle...it's hard to see the swelling in this picture.


~This picture shows some of the swelling...that's really my foot although I know it partially resembles a sausage.


~The outside of the foot and more swelling. It is hard to see from the pics but the bruising goes all down the top of my foot and up my leg.


~It even bruised up to my toes! Crazy!


~Despite the ugliness and pain from the injury, I still went to church on Sunday. That has to give me some brownie points with the man upstairs, right?

11 comments:

Erin said...

I am so glad that you are doing better. At least you have some pretty painted toes amongst the not so pretty bruising. You are truly a champ.

Andersen Family said...

Hey, your ankle looks like my knee when I had knee surgery. I had bruises from my knee down to my toes. Isn't it weird? Anyway, glad to hear that everything is okay. You're such a trooper!

Anonymous said...

That looks so sore. I'm sorry you are going threw this. Hope it gets better soon. You seam so positive, if it was me I would be complaining all the time.

ashycam said...

You are great for being so positive through it all. I come a very pessimistic family so I am still working on that. Hopefully it will heal quickly and the girls will give you at least a little sympathy. Miss ya, and hope you recover quickly.

Greg & Andrea said...

you poor girl. that is awful. but like you said you have to just move forward and think of the good things in life. That is the only way i get by. I hope you heal quickly.

wendys said...

I must admit, I laughed a little about your girls pretending your crutches are stick horses and then forgetting to give them back to you! But I hope you continue to get better!

laurawh said...

Good grief Shamae! And that spot of the shot looks awful! Are you sure it did not happen on the sled fall? I hope it heals soon!

Becca said...

Oh Shamae, I hope that you can feel better soon. Has the doctor given you a time frame to be pain free???

The Lane Family said...

The things kids think to do when we are in pain. I do your remember you guys. I thought you were a great family and had the cutest little girls. You are welcome to follow our crazy life if I can follow yours!!

Wendi

Natalie said...

Oh my goodness Shamae! I hope that you are feeling a little bit better! I haven't talked to you in FOREVER! Hope you and your little family are doing well.

Unknown said...

O.M.G. That looks sooooooooo painful. I love your "lessons learned" from it. I have a feeling you are hysterical on pain meds! Love ya...