Sunday, November 22, 2009

Quote of the Day...

I just wanted to share a great quote and some random musings. I know lots of my blogging buddies have been going through some rough times lately. I thought I would make a little post to help lift spirits. Sometimes things happen in our lives and it's so easy to focus on the negative or how life isn't going exactly as you had planned. Unforeseen events happen in all our lives. Maybe it's the death of a loved one, a job loss, an unfortunate diagnosis, an accident, the list can go on and on. Sometimes these things are caused by our own actions but often they are just unfortunate situations. Nevertheless, finding joy and gratitude among the pain, sorrow, disappointments and all else we may experience, will bring more blessings into our lives. Furthermore, if you can learn from these heart aches, you will be a better person in spite of them. One of my favorite quotes says,

"Every life has peaks and shadows and times when it seems that the birds don't sing and the bells don't ring. Yet in spite of discouragement and adversity, those who are happiest seem to have a way of learning from difficult times, becoming stronger, wiser, and happier as a result...How can we love days that are filled with sorrow? We can't--at least not in the moment...But I do believe that the way we react to adversity can be a major factor in how happy and successful we can be in life."

Thanksgiving is a time when people all around our great nation will take time to reflect on their blessings. We all can find so much to be grateful for, even if our lives are not exactly where we want them to be. Finding little things to be thankful for should not be too difficult. Maybe it's a little smile of understanding. A hug. A quick email or text message saying someone was thinking about you. The list goes on and on. If everyone took the time to give and recognize small acts of kindness each day, the world could truly turn into a much more positive place.

Here are a few things I'm grateful for:

1) My neighbors. We have lived in this neighborhood for 2 years now and we really have awesome neighbors. Helpful. Friendly. Great!

2) I am grateful for Sydney's diabetes. Not because I enjoy her having a disease that will never go away, but because it could be so much worse. I am so grateful that she has a disease that is manageable and treatable and not terminal.

3) Friends. Friends who have learned how to take care of Sydney's diabetes and, more than that, they want to because they realize how that takes some of the load off my shoulders. How much luckier could I get?

4) My family. We have a great, supportive family. We are a very diverse group but we are always there to help and support each other.

5) I am grateful for a husband who helps around the house and recognizes that stay-at-home-moms have rough days every once in a while too. He is my best friend and I love him.

6)I am grateful for our armed forces, especially the ones who are sacrificing Thanksgiving with their families so I have the freedom to enjoy it with mine. We will all be eternally indebted to the men and women who work to bless our lives with freedom. I hope they know they have not been forgotten and many prayers are still said on their behalf every day.

What are you grateful for right now?

4 comments:

Meri said...

I am grateful for so many things tonight. Too many to list...but right now I am especially thankful that we have good health insurance for our boys. I am thankful I am able to afford all the supplies they need to be healthy and happy. I am thankful for blogger friends who give me hugs through their words of encouragement. I am thankful for the rain. I hope the drought here ends this year.


Thanks Shamae for the wonderful reminder...there is joy to be found even in the little things.

Megann said...

Thanks for sharing.

Well, Shamae I have to tell you that I'm grateful for you. You're an amazing mother and friend. You do so much good in the world and within the D community. We are lucky to have you be a part of our lives.

The Herrigs said...

I love this posting Shamae. It made me smile and appreciate my family's health and all that we have to be thankful for this holiday season. Thanks:)

The Lane Family said...

That is a great quote and I KNOW many of those things are true. I have SOOO many things to be grateful for but for right now. I am grateful for Jim's mom who spent 10 days out here helping us and then endured a snow storm and many flight delays to get back home. I am grateful for Jim being willing to take 10 days off work to help out with the kids :)