Wednesday, June 4, 2008

My Latest Read

The Invisible Wall: A Love Story That Broke Barriers The Invisible Wall: A Love Story That Broke Barriers by Harry Bernstein



My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is an auto-biographical account of the author's experiences growing up in severe poverty in England during WWI. His captivating descriptions allow his audiences to see and feel the trials and discriminations he and his family encountered. The writing was wonderful and although he wrote his dialogue in a Lancashire dialect, the writing was still easy to follow; this helped give the characters more texture.

The novel begins when Harry is about four years old and we travel with him until he is about twelve. During this time the audience gets to experience the prejudices surrounding his street in England. The novel made me wonder if religious discrimination is really better in our time or has everyone just learned the "politically correct" way to answer questions. From my experiences, it seems there is still a lot we can learn from this novel about the harm discrimination and pre-conceived notions about various religious denominations can cause. I think this should be a must read on everyone's "to-read" lists.

View all my reviews.

1 comment:

wendys said...

That's cool that you connected your goodreads reviews to your blog. I will have to start writing more in-depth reviews so I can do that too!