Friday, May 18, 2012

Day 5--What they should know?



D-Blog Day 5---What "they" should know:
Today let’s borrow a topic from an online chat that occurred last September.  The tweet asked “What is one thing you would tell someone that doesn’t have diabetes about living with diabetes?”.  Let’s do a little advocating and post what we wish people knew about diabetes.  Have more than one thing you wish people knew?  Go ahead and tell us everything.


Wow...how to begin? This is something that all T1 parents think about regularly because we are always hearing things that are bothersome. Sometimes it takes a mini chant in my head to help me keep my cool..."They just don't know. They just don't know. They just don't know. They just don't know."  I suppose the best way to make this post the most readable with the most information is to make 2 lists and each list has my top 5 picks. The first are common misconceptions we hear on a regular basis and and 2nd lists simple facts that I want people to understand. And, despite these aggravating moments, think about the people whose mindsets have changed because of YOU! Friends. Family. Co-workers. Teachers. Principals. Medical personnel. It happens one person at a time. And, as a group, we have moved mountains with the people we have taught. It's a slow process but, together, we can continue to move those mountains! :) 


Shamae's list of top 3 annoying misconceptions T1 Parents hear over and over...


1--Oh was she overweight when she was diagnosed then and losing weight should fix her diabetes right?


2--Wow, how much sugar did she have to cause diabetes in a 4 year old?


3--But she is going to outgrow it, right?


4--Hey your kid is eating a cookie--or cake, or candy, or anything sweet--, are you sure they can eat that? (In my head I always think, "yes stranger, you sure do know more about what my T1 kid can have even though this is a disease you know nothing about....but sure, you know more than I, her MOM, does." :-)


5--So does she have the "bad" kind of diabetes? (I wasn't aware there was a good kind?) Cause my <> has diabetes. They got it when they were older and I know their dr told them to eat better and lose weight and their diabetes could go away. So have you tried that? (Yes, at dx I had a 27 lb 4 1/2 year old. She was already very underweight but sure, why didn't I try starving her longer and see if that did the trick?) Ai yi yi! 


Shamae's list of top 3 T1 facts that I wish everyone and their pets knew...


1--Diet/exercise/weight have NOTHING AT ALL to do with a Type 1 dx. While it usually plays a part in a Type 2 dx, it has never and will never be a part of why a person gets Type 1. A T1 person will have lost weight and generally is underweight at dx because their body is starving to death. Insulin is the middle man that takes sugar from the bloodstream and feeds all the cells in the body. When insulin isn't produced, the sugar builds up in the bloodstream and the cells start starving...causing weight loss. Without insulin a T1 patient will, without question, die. 


2--Neither Sydney nor us did anything to make her body develop T1 Diabetes. She did not eat too many sweets. She did not have too much juice. She did not have too much Halloween candy. No food, snack, treat, candy, or beverage is the reason behind a T1 dx. A friend made a video a few years ago and in it she says, "There are only 2 things my daughter cannot eat. 1: poison. 2: cookies........that are made with poison." haha it makes me laugh. What we do know about T1 is that there is a genetic predisposition and some type of environmental trigger (the triggers are still unknown). Once the trigger is triggered, there is no turning back. There is no way to reverse T1. There is no way to cure T1. Insulin is not a cure; it's life support. 


3--Although Sydney has a tough road ahead, she is still able to enjoy the things that non-diabetics can enjoy.  She can do anything she wants and be anything she wants--with the exception of a couple professions that don't allow T1 Diabetics due to the dangerous side effects that would potentially harm other people. Yes she needs to be more careful with some things and pay more attention to how she feels and what she eats but she still has a world of opportunities out there for her. She has grown up fast and practices more responsibility than the average 8 year old but she also has the opportunity to have more compassion for humanity. :) 


A good rule of thumb for everyone to follow--and this goes for anything, not just T1D--if you don't understand something or if it's a subject you don't know anything about, don't just guess or spout off with random thoughts. Don't guess...ASK! Don't make comments like those in my first list. ASK the parent to briefly explain. Chances are, the parent will be thrilled with getting to explain the facts instead of trying to correct the fallacies. :) And, to understand a day in the life of a T1 parent, watch the video below. And, you are in for a real treat cause I've posted the lyrics below the video in case there are lines you missed. :) 




The Type 1 Mom Song

Get up now, get up now. You look pale to me.

Check it now, check it now. We will have to see.


Are you high? Are you low? Do you have to eat?
Check it now! Do you have to pee?

Get your clothes. Are you wearing that?
Wash your face. Brush your teeth. Where’s your homework at?
Pack your lunch so you don’t have to eat school crap.
Don’t roll your eyes at me like that.

Quick eat so we will have the time to calculate the carbs.
Take your bolus so that you will not go high and have to check ketones.
Remember that the endo is expecting you today at three.
We will get the good mommy test grade they like to call your A1C.

Don’t panic, I’m sure that your log book is here somewhere.
It just can't grow legs and jump up and disappear.
Have you changed your needle since last week?
I swear to your dad I will have to speak. Don’t forget to check before you eat.
How many carbs are in that treat? 

Where’s the work you missed at school today?
Why not? What’s the problem? What did she say?
I’ll laminate that 504 and nail that sucker to your teacher’s door!

Don’t test my patience. I’m sleep deprived.
I have no life. Can’t recall my last vacation.
So I’ve closed the kitchen for the night.
It’s restaurant food. No carb counts. Hope I guess it right.

Grab your ball and skates it’s time to go
So we might be on time for once.
Get a juice and a snack so you don’t go low. Exercise is good you know.

Kick it hard. Jump high. What an awesome catch.
Strips and meter I will fetch. Check it quick so that you get right back
Knowing your number’s on track. Each day is a blessing. 
I give thanks for you being mine. The challenges are many. We will overcome in time.

Get your shower and your pump shirt on so we don’t have an incident. 
We can’t afford to repeat last years pump in the toilet accident.
Brush your hair, brush your teeth. Get your pj’s on.
Take your blood sugar now. Let’s see what wrong.
Have a juice. Take seat. Get a cold washcloth.
Get a-HEY DON'T YOU PASS OUT ON ME! Stay still until your 103.
Have a root beer, twizzlers, cupcakes, snow cone,
Snickers, juice or milkshakes. So if all your friends
Ate a thousand carbs you’d eat them too! 

If I’ve said it once
I’ve said at least a million times that we’ll get through all this!
I’m proud of how you handle it. How are your supplies at school? Do you have strips? Needles too?
What! We’re out of strips! Where is the Walgreens that’s open nights?
I’ll be right back, make sure your homework’s done and in your pack.

Get in bed. Get a hug and kiss goodnight. I’ll check you at midnight.
Don’t forget, I love you. And today we will repeat again for sure
Everday until a cure. You can help us find the cure.
Give now. Give now. Give now. Give now.
We thank you. We thank you. We thank you. We thank you.
Find the cure. The cure. The cure. The cure. The cure! The cure.

No comments: