Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Where or where has it gone?

**To be sung to the tune of "Where oh where has my little dog gone."
Where oh where has Syd's glucometer gone. Oh where oh where could it be?

Yesterday morning Syd woke up with a very high blood sugar of 348. I had just checked her a few hours before...around 2 am and she was 182. I am not sure what was going on. Obviously with a BG that high, she was grumpy and irritable. It was...ummm..."fun" to say the least. I changed her site (which did prove to be the culprit) and gave her insulin and I checked her about an hour later. 317. So she was starting to come down. I was in the living room and handed Syd her glucometer and asked her to put it away. She did as she was told...or so I thought.

About an hour later I had to check her again to make sure she was still coming back down to a normal range and I could not find her glucometer anywhere! ANYWHERE! We searched in the cupboards, under beds, in toy bins, beds, bathrooms, outside. I was getting *slightly* frustrated because this glucometer "communicates" with her pump. It is kind of a high tech gizmo and would cost a little bit to replace. Syd kept telling me she didn't know what happened to it.

Finally, after much searching, I looked in the garbage can and low and behold, what did I find? Syd's glucometer--in the trash--with yogurt on it--next to a banana peel. I pulled it out of the trash and Syd immediately burst into tears. She kept saying she didn't remember putting it in there and she was so mad at herself. I wiped down the glucometer and calmed her down and asked why she threw it away.
I have 2 theories:
1) She was mad and angry because of the high BG and so maybe, in anger she tossed it. High BG makes you act strange and feel strange. This very well could have been the culprit.

2)Maybe she honestly didn't remember doing it. I'm not diabetic and have "brain fart" moments where I didn't remember putting my keys in the freezer. I know high numbers affect their bodies in so many ways. Maybe she just honestly wasn't all "with it" and tossed it by accident.

But either way, we found it and cleaned it. It all ended well. Syd didn't get in trouble. I figured she was punishing herself enough because she was so upset.
So you other T1 moms out there (or any forgetful ladies like myself) have you had any similar experiences?

7 comments:

irbuanosraL said...

Oh my goodness what an ordeal. When you say a high makes you strange and act strange, I have seen that happen with people I know with type 1. I am so glad you found it. That is such a cute picture of Sydney!!

Becki said...

Glad you were able to find it!!
You asked me a question on my blog and I just remembered I needed to answer. We have been to the Minnetonka caves near Bear Lake twice before (one time when I was 8 mths. prego-lots of stairs!!), but this last time we went to an ice cave and it was really cool too. There are lots of fun touristy things to look at in that area. Have you guys ever been through the chapel in Paris? It's pretty neat too!

Mel said...

Great you found it...yet at her age I have a feeling it wont be the last time it will be found in the trash. hehe

Wendy said...

Well...yesterday morning I found some ice cream in the fridge...hmmm....

Amy said...

YES! Last night at 11:00 pm, I couldn't find our LAST bottle of test strips---and there is NO WHERE in Fairbanks, Alaska where you can just run and buy more that late at night! I searched the entire house and where did I find them?....in the trash (no idea how they got there)covered in coffee grounds.

Rachel said...

Oh no!!! Poor Syd :( But still pretty funny... after the fact! :)

The Lane Family said...

I love the picture of Syd. I think maybe I will use my diabetes as the reason I put diapers in the freezer and my keys in the bathroom :) I guess you have to try the funny in everything.